Speakers are one of the most varied types of computer equipment. There are many different models wildly ranging in price and quality: from 5$ models that will perform their most basic function, but will definitely not satisfy the music aficionado, to high-range, expensive ones that offer a truly astonishing sound quality. Therefore, choosing the best model for your needs might turn out to be quite complicated. Hopefully, the tips presented below will help you to make a perfect purchase!
Firstly, you should look at some of the types of speakers available on the market:
- 2.0 – A set consisting of two speakers. Depending on the price, 2.0 sets might offer different levels of sound quality.
- 2.1 – A set consisting of a subwoofer and two satellite speakers. The subwoofer’s purpose is to augment the bass – however, it needs to be reasonably large to offer a satisfactory bass response! Otherwise, the bass might be powerful but also quite muddy, making it quite cumbersome to listen to in the long run,
- Surround Sound – A set consisting of a subwoofer and four to five (or more) satellite speakers. A really good set of this type provides an unforgettable experience not only during listening to music, but also watching movies or playing video games. However, you should only buy such a set if you are sure that you have enough storage space in your room to store them properly.
- Monitor speakers – Made specifically for musicians and audio engineers. They provide extremely accurate sound that makes them indispensable while mixing and mastering sound. Some such models can also serve as powerful home speakers, while others are near-dedicated studio monitors.
In general, a good 2.0 set is more than enough for most consumers. If you are planning to purchase a 2.1 or Surround Sound set, make sure that the subwoofer is of really high quality – otherwise, it might turn out not to be worth its price.
What is more, you will need to consider whether you need some of the extra features offered by the manufacturers. Below are some of them:
- bass and treble controls – great if you want to adjust the sound precisely to your preferences,
- AUX input for an MP3 player,
- remote control for maximum convenience,
If you think that any of the features enumerated above might come in handy for you, take a look at the models that have them. Thankfully, there are some great models that offer both robust extra features and very good sound quality.
Regardless of the type of speaker that you intend to purchase, remember that you do not necessarily need to spend a lot of money to buy a good model. Right now, a lot of really good speakers are discounted and we really recommend using price comparison websites to find some really great deals.